Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why do we read novels?

I think we read novels so that we can explore the human experience. For example, in Of Mice and Men, George is friends with Lennie who is mentally handicapped. While I've interacted with mentally handicapped people before, I have not been close friends with a mentally handicapped person, so it is interesting to me see what their relationship is like and the different challenges George and Lennie face together. However, I don't actually have to experience all the hardships George and Lennie do; I can just read about them and think about what I would do--that's how I can explore the human experience and that's the great thing about novels. I can go anywhere and experience new things without ever leaving home; all I have to do is open a book and my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment